Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Making Or Breaking A Tourney Part 1: Casters

As someone who does not enjoy actually playing SC2 but enjoys the hell out of watching the competitive scene, I find that there are a few things that can make or break tournament enjoyment for me. These three main items are casters, production value, and event time.

As with all things important to any person, we have to choose the things that are most important to us and those things get the majority of our time. I enjoy owning our home and having nice things so the job is pretty high up there. I enjoy having a happy husband and a clean home with yummy food and a pleasant atmosphere, and that takes more time than you'd think. Above all, a happy marriage takes work and a massive amount of time. More work and more time than anyone could ever possibly explain to you before you actually get into that situation....but I digress.

I want to discuss both production value and casters in seperate postings, so we'll deal with casters in this one!

Casters

Casters for any particular tournament seem to be the main reason I'm excited for an event before it occurs. I tend to enjoy casters who don't spend 20 seconds yelling "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and then NOT explaining what is going on. For me as a non-player, I don't understand what the yelling is about. Clearly, something important happened. As a caster, your job is to tell me about it. You can get loud, or even incoherent at times, but completely skipping over commentating for yelling is simply unacceptable. I don't mind loud, passionate, and insane yelling - ask my husband, it's my norm. So I tend to be more forgiving of it when it's someone who brings a great view of the game overall (looking at you Day9/Husky combo), but even then it can easily get out of hand.

There are some casters who are working hard to learn their craft, and they're trying to get better, but they're not my favorites, but they're not casters who will turn me off of an event. For me, Frodan falls into this category. In season 3 of the North American Star League (NASL) finals Frodan gave an interview saying he was still getting used to the camera, and was working to more clearly express himself - and it showed. Both in his passion and clear desire for it, as well as maybe a bit of hesitancy when reaching for words during a hectic battle. It made me want to watch him, to see him improve and root for him. I'm looking forward to watching the next NASL season, rather than just the finals.

Then there are the casters who make me want to not watch an event or match they're covering at all. There's no need to mention specific names, it's not that they're bad people, horrible at what they do and they should quit and go do something else. It's just that for me, personally, they don't make the matches exciting and make me want to spend my whole day watching them. Other people obviously enjoy these folks casting, or they wouldn't still be doing it.

For me, it comes down to time, as mentioned previously. I have to choose how I spend my time wisely. Watching people who don't get me interested in a match when I need to get stuff done in the house on my precious days off...well, that's just not a choice I allow myself to make. If I'm going to do something I don't particularly enjoy, it will be cleaning, cooking, or prying my husband off whatever game he's playing long enough to get him to do something productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment